Friday, August 7, 2009

Mohawk - An Update

First of all, Mohawk is a girl. She has to be a momma bird. She is so fiercely protective of her baby.
This was the scene at lunch. The baby was exactly where he was last night. Halfway across the yard, in the middle of the lawn. How were the cats and Que not seeing him? How was he still alive??

This is how. The baby is never very far from Mohawk's watchful eye. I'm sure she swooped at the cats and Que the same way she swooped at Scott & I when we got too close. Let me tell you, it's a little intimidating to be targeted by a robin. She could really hurt me if she hit me full speed with that beak. [grin]

This was the scene after work. The little guy has made it to the back of the yard. He looks pretty good. Scott is fairly sure the leg on this side is the bad leg. If you look close, it looks ok. (Yeah, what do I know?? I'm not a vet.)

And this is Mama Mohawk, directly over my head. She doesn't trust me for a minute.
After I came in to upload my photos and post this, Scott called me to the window. Mama Mohawk was catching worms in the lawn and feeding them to the baby. Is it too much to ask that this story have a happy ending?? I hope it's not too much to ask. I really do.
Update/Part 2: The baby's name is Tiberius. Scott says so.

No comments:

Post a Comment