Thursday, February 18, 2010

Steven's Moon

Any of you that have followed this blog know about my love affair with the moon. And even though I don’t really have the proper equipment to get a really great shot, I just keep trying. And (as my friend LM would say) we all suffer.

New Year’s Eve was a full moon – a blue moon – one of those rare occurrences (every three years or so) when we have two full moons in one calendar month. I was looking forward to it – I could just see the New Year’s post: Blue Moon. Only the North Idaho weather did not cooperate. It was cloudy with only glimpses of the moon through the clouds. A friend from work, traveling to visit family in Montana, saw it and reported back to me: It was a beautiful huge moon, reflected off the water in the river she was driving next to. I was green with envy.

Then came New Year’s Day and the news that Steven (my nephew) had been killed, and somehow in my mind, that got all tangled up with the blue moon. Steven was killed on a blue moon, and so, the moon made me sad. Every time I looked at it, I thought of Steven and the blue moon and I wondered if I would ever want to take a photo of the moon again.

Until tonight. I walked outside and there it was, a little sliver of a moon – hardly worth noticing – certainly not worth a photo. Except it looked a little like it was smiling at me – Steven’s crooked smile. And I smiled right back, and then stopped and took my camera out and took a photo of the smiling moon. Steven’s moon.

And if that didn't make you smile,
I hope this does.
The Owl Cafe

No comments:

Post a Comment