Monday, December 28, 2009

Flash & The Poinsettia

Ok, it's been months since my photography workshop.
I've learned to use, and even prefer
manual focus in some situations.
I mean, let's be honest. I took almost 450 shots
over two days of the eagles.
Maybe half a dozen were manually focused.
Auto-focus has it's place.
So I'm not completely converted.
But today, we're talking about flash - because that's the other thing
I was told I needed to work on. And I'm still not loving the flash.
This photo of my poinsettia was taken with flash and then Photoshopped.
In spite of the adjustments I've made, it still looks flat to me.
Not to mention what the flash does to the colors.
Those leaves look blue.
This is the same shot with natural light, also Photoshopped.
I like the colors so much better.
Which is not to say I'm giving up on flash.
We have a long dark winter ahead - I'm sure I'll have
plenty of opportunity to practice.
I'm just saying I don't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment